Tuesday, June 12, 2012

It's my only wish...

So I finally got around to watching One Day last night. I have rented the movie at least three times never once even putting it into the PS3 but finally I saw it on HBO On Demand and decided why not. I was having a good day, why not a romance movie? One Day was why I don't do romance. I give the movie a 7/10 overall.
 
One Day is the story of two friends who meet in the late '80's and stay friends over twenty years, their relationship evolving and changing in complexity as they, themselves grow and change. The movie takes place on the same day each year, July 15th YY, which I found very refreshing. I love stories that mix up the time line or do something different than the day to day time events. The characters are both loveable and annoying in their own ways. Em (Anne Hathaway) is this shy little poet who is rather poor and can't seem to really speak up for herself in the beginning of the movie, Dex (Jim Sturgess) on the other hand is the exact opposite, which plays on the whole opposites attract theory. The movie was funny, clever, and heart warming but leaves you feeling alone and broken just as the characters feel. It's definitely worth seeing in my opinion but I recommend having a batch of chocolates and a box of Kleenex handy when you watch it. Maybe some vodka, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment